*****Up to $28.00 starting pay*****
Performs a variety of dental assisting duties to promote quality dental care for our patients in a safe, professional, and comfortable environment in accordance with the Principles of Practice. He/she will work under the guidance of the dentist.
- Prepare patient for the dental visit by ensuring they are relaxed and comfortable prior to seeing the dentist.
- Maintain an organized patient history using the electronic health record.
- Assist the dentist during dental work using the necessary instruments to complete the treatment plan. This includes sterilizing dental instruments and operating equipment for a dental procedure.
- Remove excess cement from the teeth after the crown is done.
- Assist or prepare the materials needed for the dental procedures.
- Operate the dental X-ray machine for assessment of teeth and gums.
- Assist the dentist with applying anesthetics to the area in the mouth for treatment.
- Preform mechanical polishing of clinical crown.
- Instruct patients using effective communication techniques on proper dental health and good oral hygiene.
- Complete documentation of the chart as necessary for follow up, prior authorizations, etc.
- Maintain dental equipment.
- Follow universal precautions and all Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) requirements to ensure a safe environment for patients and staff.
- Equipment maintenance and documentation in equipment maintenance log.
- Semi-annual participation of patient record audits and other Quality Assurance/ Quality Improvement (QA/QI) projects.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with dentist and other employees and patients.
- Able to deal with people tactfully and courteously either in person or on the phone.
- Must be punctual and be present for work schedules.
- Neatness in appearance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the American Indian community.
- Willingness to work in all areas of the clinic if needed.
- Must be in good physical condition.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate of an accredited dental assisting program.
- Licensed in the State of Minnesota.
- Certification in the State of Minnesota preferred.
- Spanish Preferred
Must be in good physical condition ad able to withstand the stress and demands of an active position. Must be able to perform many hours of standing, walking, stooping, bending, and sitting. Manual dexterity, good eye-hand coordination, adequate vision and hearing needed in daily work.